Saturday, June 18, 2011

Primary Class

I know I've written some about my different English classes in general, but it's high time to introduce you to all the particulars of each class and all the students we love on. I'll start with Primary class since it's the first of the day at 10:00 every morning. Starting this coming Monday, the other teaching intern (Melissa) and I will be dividing up the classes so I will no longer have this one, but I've still enjoyed the week and a half that I have taught it with her. The hardest part of this class is the wide variety of levels. Some of the kids know a lot of English, others very little, some can write it, others can't, etc. The other difficulty is the lack of concentration that many of the kids have. I know they try, but many of them have trouble paying attention or staying engaged with class. The games and interactive exercises we've done with them have really helped, but even so, many of them zone out, color, or joke around just because they can't stay focused on our lessons. Hopefully Melissa will figure out some more creative solutions for this as time goes on! They are all precious kids, though, and I will miss teaching them every day, but am glad that I will still get to see and play with them often while I'm here!
Ling-Ling (Shelby). At 18, she is the oldest in this class, yet at the lowest level due to some significant delays. Though her participation may be limited, we love her cheerfulness and spunky personality. She never fails to say "good morning" whenever she sees us (no matter what time of day it really is), and loves to come hold our hands or smooth out our clothing. :)

Hayden and I. She is a sweet girl who loves to give hugs and color pictures for people (she even has her own collection of special markers in her desk for coloring). She can't write much English yet, but she tries really hard and thrives under any one-on-one help we're able to give her.

Melissa reviewing hobbies flashcards with the kids
Elizabeth. She is very smart and has a beautiful smile. She's good at remembering English words and loves playing review games in class.

Joseph (in blue) and Hayden. Joseph is a smart kid and very sweet. We are all pr*ying hard for him to get a family before his fourteenth birthday, the government's age limit for adoption (right now he is 12). He would do so well in a family with lots of love and attention to give him!

Seth. He is already past 14, so he can no longer be adopted. He is very friendly and funny and a good student when he applies himself (which is most of the time, fortunately!). His laughter and sense of humor is a great addition to the classroom.

Jerak, who as I've mentioned in a previous post, definitely adds the spice to this class. :) He can be really hyper and mischeivous, but does it all with such a cute smile that it's really hard to stay mad at him for long. He is one of the younger students in this class but keeps up pretty well with his classmates.

Grady reading stories with Melissa (something we do every class time to help the kids practice their English reading skills). You've already heard much about him, but I'll just reiterate again that Grady is one swell guy. He has blessed me so very much with his zest for life and funny personality!

Hayden

This guy *loves* to perform. He calls himself "Grady Houdini" :)

Jerak and Grady playing "I Spy"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your students! Don't they just capture your heart?

    ReplyDelete