Thursday, June 16, 2011

Child of my Heart

Baby Zechariah and I in July 2009
I know you’re not supposed to have favorites in a place like this, but I am unashamedly a Zechariah fanatic. I met this sweet guy on my first trip here two years ago and completely fell in love with his snuggly little self and drooly baby face. He had the cutest dimples and would just lie on my shoulders so perfectly content for hours. I remember thinking then that this was the closest I’d ever come so far to loving a baby as my very own.

So the years passed, he grew into a toddler, and I planned my return trip to Shepherd’s Field. I didn’t expect that I’d love him the same this time...after all he was no longer the little baby I once held. As soon as I saw him the first time after arriving here, though, my heart wrapped around him again as if I had never left. Yes, he is bigger and more mobile now, but his sweet personality hasn’t changed a bit. His dimples still charm my socks off when he smiles, he still curls his head onto my shoulder like he did as a baby, and he is still Mr. Snuggle-Bunny. I can’t explain why I love him so much, but I just do. Every time I hold him, watch him smile, and hear his soft little voice, my heart says “mommy.” I know it’s impossible; I’m still 10 years too young to adopt him and he needs a family now. But still my heart just looks on him as if all of those barriers were gone and he was my son.  I would die for him in an instant. I want to feed him cheerios out of a highchair and teach him to ride a bike and read with him and see what kind of man he becomes.
 
 
I pr*y G0d has a family coming for my boy soon. Until then, though, I will love and cherish him in their place and try not to think about how hard it’s going to be to leave him orphaned still for a second time.
Wo Ai Ni, my Zekky boy. <3










6 comments:

  1. I too am praying for a family and I know with all my heart you will be back in China one day taking your own child into your arms. It is just who you are and God knows it. Bless you as you love and love and love!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does SFCV have any plans to include a full time blogger to their staff? There's certainly a need for it as this personal connection is sorely missed by us sponsors & potential sponsors (I love seeing & hearing what little Miss Melanie is up to)!!! I'd recommend you...and then you could spend more time with your Zekky boy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is absolutely precious!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all your pictures! I can remember all those rooms! So fun to see Shepherd's Field again! Glad your time is going well! Tell us how your teaching is going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ... I found the post from a few days back on the teaching details! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just "met" today. But your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad he was love the way he was.

    I want to keep in touch with you. I want him to remember that he was (is) so deeply loved by you.

    Lydie

    ReplyDelete