Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, JJ!

One of the privileges I have as an English laoshi this summer is baking cakes for many of the kids' birthdays. They always turn out a little funky because of the differences in ingredients and ovens here, but fortunately the kids haven't had many other cakes to compare them to (the Chinese don't really do sweets like that regularly). :) This past Monday we celebrated Jacob Jai's birthday with cake and a little celebration in Kindergarten class. JJ was one of our favorite kids from our last trip here, so it was special to be able to wish him "Shengri Kuai Le" in person this year (even though I wish he was hearing it from a forever family!). He got very excited about his cake and blowing out the candles and bounced around pretty much the whole day with a huge grin on his face. Happy birthday to a very fun five year old!
Looking at a little note my mom sent him (he was her favorite little guy there in 2009!)
Cake is a-comin'!



He was a little scared of his tall candles and didn't want to get too close


Make a wish!

Josiah, Tyler, and Eric waiting for their cake...

First bite!
Moses and Brent

He likes it! (probably in large part because there was no sweet frosting...good thing too because confectioner's sugar is not available easily here!)

Brent chowing down...
Kennedy...always smiling :)

Isn't Josiah the handsomest guy ever? (Sorry, future husband!) :)

Eric making a face

The giddy and gleeful birthday boy!

JJ and Moses

3 comments:

  1. awwwwww....I wish I could have been there!! His hair is adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to a little sweetie!!! I just love that you are baking for the kids and making them so happy. I had a cake sent to SJ before we came to get here. It was the first cake ever taken there and she was scared to death. It makes me so glad to see JJ so excited! You are so sweet to them!!! Thank you for all you are doing.
    XOXO
    ps... saw a new girl was coming there named Hannah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I'd share a quick, easy cake recipe you might like for ease and variety. It's the recipe my daughter's caretakers used & the kids love it. (I assume you can get the ingredients there as it's the same country...)

    COCONUT CAKE
    1 Cup dessicated Coconut(small, very dry, flaked)
    1 Cup plain flour
    1 Cup sugar
    1 Cup milk
    1 teaspoon baking powder

    Mix the ingredients well; making sure the mixture is smooth. Pour into a lined loaf pan.
    Bake in moderate oven 200 degrees C (392 F) for 35 minutes.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete