A few weeks ago now, Winsome (a visitor from NY) and I went to the Laoshe Tea House one evening to see their variety show. I got to go there two years ago and it was definitely on my list of places to return to! While munching on all kinds of little snacks (pumpkin seeds, little desserts, fruit squares, etc.) and sipping green tea, you get to enjoy the highlights of Beijing's many performance arts including vocal impressions, an opera scene, the face-changing act of the Sichuan opera (unbelievable!), magic tricks, acrobatics, and tea ceremonies. Definitely a must-see if you're headed to China's capital!
 |
| On our way to the city... |
 |
| City Scenes |
 |
| Tianamen Square from the road |
 |
| Laoshe Tea House |
 |
| We got there *really* early, so we walked around the neighborhood for a bit, sightseeing and shopping for souvenirs |
 |
| We found this really fun little tea shop close by that sold *real* Chinese, loose-leaf tea. We both had fun trying to communicate to the non-English-speaking saleslady how much of the different kinds we wanted...I love the challenge of having nothing but gestures and pointing to try to say something and the exhilaration you feel when someone understands! After weighing out our tea she wrapped it all neatly into squares of paper. |
 |
| Inside the tea house... |
 |
| Winsome and I |
 |
| We listened to these women play beautiful music in the lobby |
 |
| The signature tea cups of Laoshe |
 |
| Nibbles! |
 |
| Waiting for the show to begin |
 |
| These guys did amazing bird calls and transportation impressions |
 |
| I was so happy this MC was still there...my mom and I LOVED him last time! We can't understand a word he says but he's so jolly that we crack up all the time! |
 |
| These guys all played parts of two different instruments (like fingering one but strumming another). Such talent! |
 |
| An opera scene. Loved the costumes! |
 |
| The long-handled teapot guys! They twist and twirl their pots all over the place and then perfectly pour a cup of water. |
 |
| Comedians...wish we knew Chinese so we could appreciate their jokes! |
 |
| The plate spinners! |
 |
| Face-changing act...they dance around and with the twirl of their cape or a twist of their head, their mask will change to a different one. This is definitely my favorite part of the show! |
 |
| Passing by Tianamen square again on the way home. What a fun night! |
I sure look forward to coming back to Beijing. We saw an acrobatics show when we were there but no tea house. Will have to do that! Wish you could back with us and show us around!!! :) What do you say??? Love all your photos and seeing what you saw! I know you miss Winsome!!! Hope you sleep well!
ReplyDeleteXO
I thought...you weren't supposed to take pictures at the tea house. ;) hehehe! I'm glad you did though! So fun to see that again...
ReplyDeleteYeah, I was expecting that too, Kaish. But there was no sign anymore saying you couldn't and everyone around us was taking pictures, so I was glad I had the chance to capture the show there this time! We were sitting kinda in the back too, so I could see things closer through my camera lens than with my eyes! :)
ReplyDelete