Monday, July 11, 2011

A Moment's Time

In the late hours of Sunday night or the earliest moments of Monday morning, a tiny precious little baby was left outside the gate here, never to see her family's faces again. I first heard about her later on Monday and was immediately struck by how unreal and world-altering it all seemed. While I was sleeping all cozy and peaceful in my bed here in the Inn, this little baby's mother or father was giving her one last kiss, wrapping her up tight, and trudging through the darkness to our front gate. They set her down, maybe shed some final tears and stroked her tiny hands, and faded back into the night. In an instant, this little girl's life was changed forever. She became an orphan...abandoned, alone, and forsaken. What was going on in her parents' heads as they set her down on the driveway and said goodbye? Why was she left? So many questions that I'm dying to ask, but will never know the answers to.

After my tutoring session with the Baker boys and preschool class this morning, I headed straight over to the House of Blessing, where this precious little life has found a home for the past 24 hours. She will have to be registered with the p*lice and taken away to a local orphanage (since SFCV is a foster home that has to receive babies from other orphanages) within a few days' time. As I opened the door upstairs and saw her lying all curled up in a bouncy seat, my heart just absolutely broke. She was so teeny...even though she's estimated to be about 2-3 months, she looks like and weighs in as a newborn. Her fingernails and toenails were long, some with slivers of dirt underneath, and her skin was all wrinkly and soft. She had the fuzziest little head of hair that felt like goose down, a miniature little cleft lip, and the tiniest little body that got completely lost in my arms when I picked her up. She slept for the whole 45 minutes that I held and pr*yed over here, oblivious for now to how much she has lost, and the struggles that lie ahead of her as an orphan. I kissed the soft spots on her head and her sleeping eyes, whispered "wo ai ni" several times, and wrapped my finger inside her palm, trying desperately to communicate that for a moment at least she was not forgotten, but rather wanted, loved, and cherished. I begged G0d to protect her, to watch over her as she leaves for a new home soon, and to send her a family very soon. It was the most helpless feeling I've ever had...staring down at this tiny baby who has just had everything taken away from her and not being able to do anything about it.

So I just enjoyed the minutes that I was with her, drinking up her sweet little face, showing Zechariah how to gently stroke her head, and hugging her tight in my arms. I don't know what her future holds, but I know that J*sus loves her and trust Him to take care of her wherever she goes and whatever happens. I am so thankful that He gave me even a few brief moments to minister His love to her!

*Sorry that I could not post pictures, but this little one doesn't legally belong to us, so I need to protect her. Thanks for understanding!*

2 comments:

  1. Can't even put into words how this makes me feel about my own precious children including Will and this precious baby you were able to hold. I can't help but believe her family knew about the love there and if they had to give her up, she would be ok with the people there. It makes me sad she will be taken yet to another place as well. God knows best though and He allowed her to be held in your sweet arms and have prayers prayed all over her. SO sweet!!! Bless you for being Jesus to so many.
    blessings and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in total and complete tears after reading this post Annie. I too cannot even begin to put into words the emotions I feel in knowing that this is exactly what happened to our precious little Thea...even sharing the similarity of cleft. I often find myself thinking of her mother and how that moment must have been for her...and for the many other mothers in China that feel that they have no choice but to leave their precious children to be found. Praise God that this little baby had that special cuddle time with you...thank you for taking the time to pray over her. I am sorry that we missed meeting you at Shepherd's Field by just a day...God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete