The other main tourist attraction besides the Great Wall that I was able to see again on this trip was the magnificent Summer Palace outside of Beijing. Some tourist spots only need a one-time visit (like the Forbidden City and T1enanmen Square, in my opinion :), but this one deserves a second visit simply for its representation of China's beauty at its best. Ponds bursting at the edges with fat green lily pads, willowy trees lining the shore of Kunming Lake, sparkling blue water, incredible golden and red and green colors radiating off of the temples and pavilions, massive bronze sculptures from bygone dynasties, and the impressive sight of the Seventeen Arch Bridge all make for a rich sensory experience, not to mention the constant heat and high people density that always surrounds you there! It was so fun to visit there again with Sara, the other interns, and a sweet family visiting from the States. The more I travel, the more I'm amazed by the diversity and uniqueness G0d has crafted into each different part of the world...He's amazing, guys!




 |
| Lily pads on steroids! |
 |
| Typical China sight! |
 |
| Me, Melissa, Sara, and Hannah |
 |
| Beautiful Kunming Lake |
People everywhere!
 |
| Sara measured her tiny foot against Marc's (a visitor from the States) size 15 tennis shoes.... |
 |
| Boarding a dragon boat for our ride across the lake |
 |
| Gorgeous paneled ceilings in the dragon boat |
 |
| The Tower of Buddhist Incense perched high atop Longevity Hill |
 |
| Dragon boat |
 |
| Best buds! |
 |
| Sara, Melissa, and I with the W family visiting from TN |
 |
| Jumping pictures...gotta love 'em! |
 |
| Melissa and Hannah...I swear these two must have been twins separated at birth...they are SO alike! :) |
 |
| Me and my Jie Jie... |
 |
| The Seventeen Arch Bridge |
 |
| Enjoying the view from the Seventeen Arch Bridge! |
Gorgeous photos! We didn't get to go to Summer Palace back in 2006. We would love to go this time but not sure there will be time to sight see. Oh how your photos make me SO excited that I am going back to China soon. I LOVE China SO Much!!!!! It is home to me and I hope to stay one day. :) I don't know how Sara is making it without you three girls. I know she gets sad when everyone is gone. I can't wait to meet her!!! Wondering if you are an education major???
ReplyDeleteXO
Nope, I'm a social sciences major, not education. But I did love teaching this summer!
ReplyDeleteHopefully you'll get time to visit the Summer Palace this Fall or sometime in the future...it's beautiful!