
One of the very sweet moments I had in China took place in Zachry House, shortly before I left. I arrived there one day to find sweet Brent (one of my kindergarteners) standing over frail little Joey, feeding him with the help of his ayi. The first few spoonfuls dribbled all down Joey's face, but Brent was a careful student and soon learned how to get the liquid into his mouth without spilling much. Brent was ecstatic about his new little job, grinning from ear to ear the whole time and frequently looking over at me to say "Annie! Picture! One more!" (of course he always wanted me to take *just one more* photo :). The ayi was laughing at Brent's enthusiasm the whole time and Bill ("The Pill") came over to see what all the fuss was about, soon contenting himself to stick his fingers into the bowl, lick them off, and repeat. It was such a fun little memory....one orphan tenderly and joyfully serving another, and G0d using the broken to reach out to other broken, needy people. Do I have Brent's same heart in ministering to those around me? Do I not just endure, but actually delight in doing the simplest, most menial of jobs to bless someone else? Do I let my own weaknesses discourage or excuse me from serving those around me or do I humbly give what I have and let G0d work through me in His power? Five minutes with this five-year-old can teach so much...




 |
| Saying "aaahh" with his mouth just like a parent would... :) |
Thanks for the thoughts to ponder. You are such a sweet servant. We really can learn something from the children if we just take the time to watch and listen.
ReplyDeleteI miss my boy. I am sad I won't see him in a couple months, but oh how wonderful that he has a home. He will always be in my heart <3
ReplyDeleteWe can ALL learn this lesson!!! Thank you for sharing such sweet stories of the children there. You are such a precious girl and I love your heart!!!
ReplyDeleteIn His Love,
Sharon
Precious, precious memories Annie.
ReplyDelete