Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Starting the Journey

First stepping out into the world of orphan care is a mind-boggling, overwhelming experience. The estimated statistics are staggering: 147 million orphans worldwide, a child orphaned by AIDS every 14 seconds, 800,000 children in the US foster care system every year. Then there are the thousands of orphan faces that tug at our hearts from magazine inserts, commercials, documentaries, and brochures. What do we do with all this information? How do we even begin to help meet the incredible need that is out there in our world?

As a young adult, I’ve especially struggled with these questions. I am broken and touched by the stories and the figures, but what can I really do to effect any lasting change? I am not a millionaire who can bless orphanages and charities with huge sums of money. I am not a doctor who can heal the special needs that many of these children live with. And right now, I’m not a mommy who can be a part of G0d’s redeeming work of adoption. I am one, single, ordinary person with seemingly little to offer.

And G0d can use me regardless.

He has shown me that, for all I may lack, I do have two hands and a heart, which is really all it takes to begin serving the fatherless. Hands to hold little ones in my lap and give out hugs, and a heart that has been changed by the grace of G0d and can now minister His love to the most vulnerable, overlooked members of our society. This is what I have, what has been given me right now to steward for His kingdom. The question isn’t “what if I had more?” but “what can I do in this moment?” This blog chronicles my journey this summer to use these hands and heart in the ways I can to serve the orphans of Shepherd’s Field Children’s Village in Wuqing, Ch*na.

I won’t be doing anything big or life-changing. Teaching English, updating children’s profiles, and the other odd jobs I may have at SFCV will hardly solve the world’s orphan crisis. The kids that I pr*y over, and love on, and hold in my lap probably won’t even remember me years down the line. But these are little opportunities to serve and to be found faithful. And I want to use them to the fullest. I want my hands to be reached out in ministry and compassion until they are worn out and spent, and my heart to give and love until it softens, bleeds, and conforms more to the image of Chr1st. I’m taking what I have, trusting that G0d can use it somehow, and going.

Thank you so much for coming along with me for the ride. I pray that through the joys and trials that my two little hands and heart experience and share here over the next few months, you will come to know just a little bit more of our Father’s heart for orphans and be inspired and encouraged by what He is doing through His people in Ch*na. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment